Notable Dates


1002

DERBYSHIRE FIRST MENTIONED IN WILL OF WULFRIC SPOT AS DEORBISAIR AND CLOWNE AS CLUNE MANOR AND BARLEBURG (BARLBOROUGH) WITH WITEWELLE (WHITWELL).

1090

DERBYSHIRE MENTIONED IN DOOMSDAY BOOK AND SPELT DERBISCIRE.

1135-54

ALL SAINTS CHURCH NOW ST JOHN THE BAPTIST CHURCH BUILT.

1348-50

BLACK DEATH VICTIMS BURIED ON WHAT IS NOW CALLED BARLBOROUGH LINKS.

1400'S

PERPENDICULAR TOWER ADDED TO CHURCH.

1528

WILLIAM INSKIP BECAME RECTOR AND STAYED FOR 54 YEARS TILL HIS DEATH IN 1582.

1591

NEW BELL HUNG IN THE CHURCH BEARING THE MARK OF HENRY OLDFIELD.

1616

ANOTHER BELL HUNG INSCRIBED GEORGE WILKESONNE, WILL WILLIAMSON. WARDENS 1616.

1700

POPULATION OF CLOWNE APPROX 400.

1727

JOHN SLATER LEFT 40 SHILLINGS ANNUALLY TO TEACH 6 POOR CHILDREN OF CLOWNE.

1734

SCHOOL FOUNDED BY CHARLES BASSELDINE WITH 6 PER YEAR FOR EVER. TO TEACH 12 OF THE POOREST CHILDREN OF THE PARISH OF CLOWN.

1736

DEATH OF CHARLES BASSELDINE AGED 84 LEAVING LANDS IN TRUST TO THE RECTORS OF CLOWN BARLBOROUGH AND STAVELY.

1778-80

COMMON LAND ENCLOSED

1785

JOHN GOODY APPOINTED SCHOOL MASTER AND TAUGHT 24 CHILDREN OF CLOWN.

. 1801

POPULATION OF CLOWNE 484.

1812

NEW CHURCH BELL HUNG INSCRIBED REVD GEORGE BOSSLEY RECTOR 1812. J. GOODY, J. DEWIS CHURCH WARDENS. SMITHS CHESTERFIELD.

1829

BOWDEN FAMILY IN POSSESSION OF SOUTHGATE HOUSE AND BUILT A SMALL CATHOLIC CHURCH ALONG SIDE. EARLY 1800'S SUNDAY SCHOOL ESTABLISHED IN CLOWNE.

1831

POPULATION OF CLOWNE 637.

1834

FIRST PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHURCH BUILT.

1837

FIRST WESLEYAN CHURCH BUILT.

1870'S

MIDLAND RAILWAY, AND LANCASHIRE AND EAST COAST RAILWAY RUNNING.

1875

MISS BOWDON CUTS THE FIRST SOD FOR THE SINKING OF SOUTHGATE COLLIERY.

1876

MOUNT ZION PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHURCH BUILT.

1877

COAL MINED AT SOUTHGATE COLLIERY.

1880'S

RECTORY HOUSE REBUILT AT A COST OF 1,000.

1887

23RD JUNE SALVATION ARMY'S FIRST MEETING IN JOINERS SHOP IN A LOFT OVER A BARN AT THE TOP OF CLIFF HILL.

1898

CLOWN CO-OP BUILT.

1901

POPULATION OF CLOWNE 3,896

1909

FIRST PUBLIC APPEARANCE OF SALVATION ARMY JUNIOR BAND.

1909

NEW WESLEYAN CHURCH BUILT ON CHURCH LANE.

1911

22ND JUNE CLOWNE CINEMA OPENED CALLED PICTURE HALL.

1911

22ND NOVEMBER CAGE ACCIDENT AT SOUTHGATE COLLIERY 12 MEN INVOLVED 3 KILLED, NAMES BUNDAY, MARLOW AND WILD.

1914

KING GEORGE V AND QUEEN MARY VISITED CLOWNE.

1914

FIRST WORLD WAR STARTS, 97 CLOWNE MEN LOST BEFORE IT ENDED.

1916

24TH JULY START TO BUILD NEW SALVATION ARMY HALL.

1918

20TH JULY NEW SALVATION ARMY HALL OPENS.

1929

17TH JANUARY SOUTHGATE COLLIERY FLOODS AND NEVER OPENS AGAIN.

1930

TECHNICAL COLLEGE BUILT.

1930'S

BUILDING STARTED ON BOUGHTON LANE SCHOOL.

1935

PICTURE HALL NAME CHANGED TO PICTURE PALACE.

1938

10TH MAY MARKHAM COLLIERY DISASTER 79 KILLED 39 INJURED.

1939

WORLD WAR 2 BREAKS OUT.

1939

BOUGHTON LANE SCHOOL OPENS

1950

29TH SEPTEMBER CRESWELL COLLIERY DISASTER, 83 LIVES LOST.

1951

MAY 9TH SOUTHGATE COLLIERY CHIMNEY BLOWN DOWN.

1961

CLOWNE PICTURE PALACE CINEMA CLOSED.

1973

30TH JULY MARKHAM COLLIERY CAGE DISASTER 18 KILLED 11 SERIOUSLY INJURED.

1974

12TH OCTOBER NEW EXTENSION TO REAR OF SALVATION ARMY OPENED.

1987

SALVATION ARMY CENTENARY.

p.'s. If you have any more notable dates please leave feedback below & I will add them

 To Leave Comments Or Feedback Click Here